Friday 15 August 2014

Học tiếng anh/ Have a lot on my plate

Ikebana


TEW/BBC

Cám ơn Mit rất nhiều vì đã giới thiệu mục này.

Have a lot on my plate

1. Nguồn:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/language/theenglishwespeak/2014/07/140715_tews_184_a_lot_on_my_plate.shtml

2. Nghe ở đây:

link nghe bài học

3. Text:

Feifei: This is a great restaurant, Finn. I'm glad we could finally come here and try out their new menu.

Finn: It is a good restaurant, Feifei. But, well, I haven't been able to relax and enjoy a nice meal in the last few weeks.
Feifei: Really?
Finn: Yes, well, I'm moving home soon...
Feifei: Oh, I know how difficult it is to find a new flat.
Finn: Yes. And my grandmother has been complaining that I don't visit her in Scotland very often...
Feifei: Yes, our elders like us to visit every now and again.
Finn: And this new project at work...
Feifei: I've noticed that you have been working late...
Finn: I simply have too much on my plate right now!
Feifei: Oh, if you have too much on your plate, can I help you?
Finn: Yes, well, that would be nice...

Feifei: Leave it to me. Let me take some of this lovely looking chicken from you. Mmm... this is very tasty...

Finn: Feifei, what are you doing?! You're taking food from my plate?!

Feifei: Mmm... I must find out how they cook this chicken. It tastes so good!
Finn: Feifei, I didn't mean for you to take food from my plate. In English, when you say you 'have a lot on your plate' or 'too much on your plate', you mean you have a lot of work to do or a lot of problems to deal with.
Feifei: Problems?! That's not good.
Finn: Yes. Well, it's not about food, but about work and problems. 'Have a lot on my plate' is today's expression in The English We Speak. Let's hear some examples of how it's used.
  • Ann has a lot on her plate at the moment. She's just had twins!
  • Sorry, but the manager can't speak to you today. The company is launching new products next week and she's got too much on her plate right now.
Feifei: Oh, so this expression has nothing to do with this delicious food you have on your plate.
Finn: Come on, Feifei. You knew this expression already - you just wanted to pinch my chicken!
Feifei: OK, OK, guilty as charged! This chicken looks so appetising... and these potatoes and...
Finn: Feifei, I can share them with you.
Feifei: Oh thank you, Finn. And you can share the workload, too. I can help you with your new project so you'll have time to go and visit your granny.
Finn: Feifei, I'm very grateful. Here, have some more potatoes. And... I like the look of that carrot mash you have on your plate.
Feifei: Here, have some... this food is lovely! We'll have clean plates in no time at all. Bye.
Finn: Bye.




No comments: